April 30, 2012
Pastured Pork Paleo Carnitas
|(Pastured Pork) Paleo Carnitas|| |
Recipe type: Main
Author: Nell Stephenson
Serves: 3 - 4
Nothing wrong with a fattier cut of meat now and then if you'd like to use pastured pork shoulder, or stick with lean pork tenderloin. In any case, serve with salad and fresh veg- topped with cilantro and lime. Who needs tortillas and sour cream?
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds pastured pork tenderloin, cut into cubes
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 5 cups homemade chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large ripe red tomato, seeded and pureed
- 2 bay leaves
- Bibb or Butter Lettuce Leaves, for 'wrap'
- Freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Freshly chopped tomato, for garnish
- Heat oil in dutch oven over medium.
- Add pork and brown on each side, about 3 -4 minutes
- Remove pork from dutch oven.
- Add chopped onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes
- Add pork back in and pour in stock
- Boil, then reduce to simmer for about 90 minutes.
- Remove pork, reserve one cup of liquid and discard the onions and rest of the liquid.
- Using a potato masher or fork, mash the cooked pork until it becomes stringy
- Add tomato, few bay leaves, oregano and the cup of liquid that you saved from earlier, let simmer until slightly reduced.
- Serve on lettuce (in place of tortillas) and garnish as desired