August 25, 2017
1-2-3 Cook: Baked Yam Fries
Nell's Paleo Baked Yam Fries
Author: Nell Stephenson
Recipe type: Starchy Veg
Cuisine: Paleo / Clean Eating
Yams are the starch of choice for the Paleo endurance athlete and fall right into place as a strategic carb for those following a keto approach. These are a hit every time!
- Two large (8 – 10 oz) yams
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- Garlic Powder, to taste
- Cayenne Pepper, optional
- Himalayan Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Wash, then slice the yams into ½” thick, by ½” wide by 3-4“ long strips (depending on the size of the yam). Most importantly, keep the size of all the slices the same to ensure even cooking.
- Toss well with the oil to ensure the yam pieces are evenly coated, then sprinkle on the garlic powder and cayenne pepper if you'd like some heat.
- Place on rimmed baking sheet, lined with a piece of parchment paper (makes for an easy clean-up).
- -Broil for 10’ on one side, then turn over and broil 10’. Yams are done when easily pierced with a fork. Remove from oven, then sprinkle salt and pepper on top.
- -Let cool 5 minutes before eating.
- -These will store quite well in the refrigerator and are perfect for right before or after your endurance workout.