Paleo Shepard’s Pie
- 500g grass fed beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup home made chicken stock
- 30g grass olive oil
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, sliced
- 1 star of anise
- 1 small crushed tomato
- 2 Tsp turmeric
- 2 Tsp ginger
- 2 Tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp Pepper
- TO MAKE THE FILLING:
- heat the coconut oil over a medium heat until melted
- add the onion, carrots and the star of anise and saute for 15 minutes
- once cooked, remove all the ingredients from the pan and place on the side for use later
- Crank up the heat of the pan and add the beef and cook until meat is fully brown.
- add the tomato, chicken stock, all the herbs and spices and pepper and stir
- add the onion and carrot mix back to the pan (but dispose of the star of anise)
- allow all ingredients to infuse over a low heat for 30 minutes
- TO MAKE THE TOPPING
- place the sweet potatoes in a pan of boiling water and cook for about 15 minutes, or until you can place a knife in one of the potatoes and it slides off
- once cooked, remove from the heat and drain the water
- add in the olive oil mash together until well combined
- TO PREPARE PIE
- place all meaty ingredients in an oven proof dish
- spoon out mashed sweet potatoes mixture on top of meat and spread evenly.
- place in a pre-heated oven and cook on 180 degreesC for 45 minutes
- Allow to stand for a couple of minutes before serving
To make this even better I recommend using a slow-pot to cook the meaty filling for around 4 hours. Although it takes longer, it is so worth it for the incredible taste.
The real secret of this is the star of anise and the chicken stock which give it an incredible flavour.
I use home made chicken stock but you can use ready made (just make sure its paleo friendly).