Paleoista’s Tom Yum Recipe
In the cold of winter, we can use every advantage we can get to boost our immune systems and keep from catching that nasty cold that everyone else has succumbed to. Here’s my version of a traditional Thai favorite, without any of the typical go-go easy fixes like salt-laden fish sauce or canned chili. Enjoy some now and enjoy even more tomorrow! Ingredients
- 3 cups homemade chicken broth
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 stalks lemongrass
- 3 pieces Thai Ginger (Galangal)
- 2 pieces Kaffir Lime Leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced roasted red chili
- 1 pound boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 cup straw mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small tomato, diced
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Bring broth, lime juice, lemongrass, galangal and kaffir lime leaves to boil in large saucepan.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove galangal, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves.
- Stir in chili until well blended.
- Add chicken, mushrooms, onion and chilies.
- Simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in tomato.
- Spoon into soup bowls.
- Garnish with cilantro.