July 14, 2016
Author: Nell Stephenson
Recipe type: Veggie
You'd never guess something this pretty is so simple to prepare. Enjoy it on the 14th of July in honor of Bastille Day....or any other day! Pair it with a roast chicken for a perfectly balanced meal any time of year.
- ½ cup rendered duck fat
- 1 eggplant, cubed
- 3 zucchini, cubed
- 2 large yellow onions, cubed
- 3 green bell peppers, seeds discarded, cubed
- 4 large, ripe garden tomatoes, seeds discarded, cubed
- 10 cloves garlic, smashed
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat half the fat in skillet over medium high
- Sauté eggplant cubes 8 - 10 minutes, then remove from pan
- Sauté zucchini cubes until browned, about 8 minutes, then remove
- Add remainder of fat to pan and sauté the onions and peppers together for about 6 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, garlic and broth to casserole and bring to a boil over medium heat
- Add back in the eggplant and zucchini
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes
- Remove the cover, increase the heat to medium, and cook another 10 minutes, uncovered, to reduce
- Let rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite protein