March 26, 2012
Raw Cabbage with Cilantro Pesto Dressing
Raw Cabbage Salad With Cilantro Pesto Dressing
Author: Danielle Anne
Recipe type: Salad
Serves: 4 mins
A Raw Paleo side dish that is very easy, and pairs great with some poached salmon or a grilled protein. The dressing makes a lot so you can use the pesto in other dishes or as a topping for your meats. Yumm!
- 1 head of green cabbage, shredded and chopped (can mix ½ purple and ½ green if you like)
- Cilantro Pesto:
- 2 bunches cilantro, remove stems - I just chop off the top part, and wash
- 1 bunch baby spinach, or kale, washed
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds (can use toasted or non toasted)
- ½ cup walnuts
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 T of paprika
- cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 T of curry powder (optional)
- juice of 1-2 limes
- a bit of filtered water, enough to get desired consistency
- ½ cup of good olive oil
- For the cabbage: just wash, chop and set aside in a very large bowl.
- For the pesto: Put all the ingredients in a food processor except the water, and process until smooth. Add water to get it to the Pesto consistency you want.
- To assemble the raw cabbage salad:
- Get a large bowl, add all the cabbage - if you prefer to make a smaller quantity, just adjust the dressing measurements.
- In a small jar with a lid, add about ½ to 1 cup of pesto, and add some filtered water to thin it out. Shake it up until blended and pour over your raw cabbage. Toss it all up in the bowl.
- To serve - garnish with chopped walnuts or toasted pumpkin seeds.
- *save the rest of the pesto for other Paleo dishes, can also be frozen or put into ice cube trays and frozen*