May 8, 2012
Author: Nell Stephenson
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 4 -6
One of the easiest and most delicious ways to prepare a free range hen- on a vertical roaster. In a pinch, one can also use an empty beverage can, but be sure to avoid actually consuming that beverage, as often the can of choice is a beer can!
- 1 3-4 pound free range chicken, patted dry
- Fresh herbs of your choosing, optional, such as thyme, rosemary and oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Place chicken on vertical roaster, upright.
- If using herbs, stuff between skin and flesh.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Cook one and one-half hours, then check temperature to be sure it's reached 160F.
- Remove from oven, cover with foil and let rest 10 minutes.
- Break down into pieces and serve with your favorite fresh veggies