November 20, 2015
Paleoista’s Classic Roast Turkey
Paleoista's Classic Roast Turkey
Author: Nell Stephenson
Recipe type: Entree
Tradition rings true with this classic holiday dish. With few ingredients sourced locally to garnish the bird, you're sure to present a main course that's beautifully presented and perfectly suited to take center stage on the big day.
- 20 pound Pasture Raised Turkey
- 2 T fresh Rosemary
- 2 T fresh Thyme
- 2 T fresh Sage
- 1 T Kosher Salt
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Remove giblets, set aside and reserve for pan gravy.
- Since turkey and dry thoroughly.
- Combine herbs in food processor and whiz until a uniform consistency is reached
- Rub all over turkey, including in cavity and under skin
- Truss turkey with kitchen twine, ensuring cavities are completely secure
- Place breast side down on rack over baking tray
- Sprinkle salt on top
- Roast until lightly golden brown, 45 minutes.
- Flip bird over and sprinkle remaining salt on top.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and continue roasting until thermometer inserted in the thigh registers 160 degrees F, about 2 to 2¼ hours longer.
- Remove from oven and let rest 15 - 20 minutes before carving.
- Slice as you serve with assorted veggie dishes