February 28, 2012
Venison & Bison Chili
|Venison & Bison Chili|| |
Recipe type: Meat
Author: Nell Stephenson
A lovely wild game chili meal, best made the day before serving to allow flavors a chance to develop.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound free range venison boneless loin, cubed
- 1 pound free range ground bison
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced (omit seeds and pith for less heat)
- 2 cups homemade chicken or beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 large, ripe tomato, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro and/or scallions, chopped finely, including stems
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Heat olive oil in dutch oven over medium.
- Add cubed loin and sear on each side until browned, then remove from pot.
- Add ground bison and cook, stirring, until browned, then remove from pot.
- Add onion to pan and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and jalapeno and cook one more minute.
- Add broth and wine and bring to boil, using wooden spoon to scrape any browned bits stuck to bottom.
- Add tomato, and return both meats to pan.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add cumin and paprika and simmer one hour longer.
- Serve hot with cilantro or scallions and lime wedges on top, accompanied by your favorite veggies.