December 11, 2016
Author: Nell Stephenson
Recipe type: Veggie
When we think caramel, we think sugar... but that's unnecessary. The hint of natural sugar in onions, yellow and shallots in particular, lend this veggie to caramelize beautifully on its own with nothing more than some fat and some heat!
- 4 yellow onions or 8 large shallots
- 2 tablespoons duck fat (or grass fed butter for those who eat dairy)
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- Cut shallots in half or if using onions, cut in half, then slice into half -rings
- Melt fat in skillet over medium eat
- Add onions and stir gently with wooden spoon.
- Check the onions every 5 to 10 minutes.
- If using shallots, allow the cut bottom to pan sear, creating a nice, browned appearance.
- Remove from heat and serve on top of your holiday turkey!