Paleo to the Rescue from an Embarrassing Issue
This is embarrassing but I have to address this! It seems every winter I get a cold sore. I haven’t been sick once since I’ve been Paleo for eight months, but I’m afraid that I’ll get another one of these embarrassing sores on my mouth this winter. Can Paleo help to prevent this from occurring again? Thank you, Anonymous in Portland, OR
Cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus; after you get infected, the virus stays in your body for the rest of your life. Excessive stress, a cold or the flu can all trigger an outbreak.
While going Paleo cannot rid the body of the virus, eating this alkaline and balanced diet can dramatically reduce chances and severity of occurrence. In addition to adhering to the anti-inflammatory standards, following are some extras that can help to keep this embarrassing issue at bay:
- Always use lip balm and sunscreen on your face; too much sunlight can cause cold sores to flare.
- A cool, wet towel on the sores 3 times a day for 20 minutes each time helps reduce redness and swelling.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water and baking soda to soothe a sore mouth.
- Avoiding foods that contain acid (such as citrus fruits and tomatoes)
- Focus on Paleo foods rich in lysine such as eggs, meat (specifically red meat, lamb, pork, and poultry), cod and sardines
Following Paleo will strengthen your immune system and allow your body to become healthier, less inflamed and much more equipped to ward off an outbreak!