December 2, 2016
Holiday Pumpkin Soup
|Holiday Pumpkin Soup|| |
Recipe type: Entree
Author: Nell Stephenson
What better way to nourish your body on a cold winter's night than a cup of homemade pumpkin soup? By adding a nice, healthy dose of fat, we balance out the glycemic load of this seasonal squash, promoting balanced energy (and warm belly!)
- 2 medium pumpkins
- ½ cup rendered duck fat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cups homemade bone broth, strained
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ cup shredded coconut meat
- Rosemary sprig, for garnish
- Toasted pumpkin seeds, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut pumpkins in half, scoop out the seeds, and place skin-side down on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until soft.
- Meanwhile, heat duck fat in Dutch Oven and add onion and celery.
- Saute until browned
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Remove pumpkin from oven and scoop out the flesh into food processor with onion mixture and puree until smooth.
- Pour pureed pumpkin into a saucepan and add spices and coconut.
- Pour back into Dutch oven and heat briefly until warmed.
- Serve in bowls with Rosemary as garnish