Paleo Fare for Superbowl Sunday
With Superbowl Sunday just days away, perhaps you’ve already begun to wonder how you’re going to be the host(ess) with the most(ess) and entertain all your friends for the big day, without sabotaging all your weight loss efforts that you’ve made so far this January!
- Crudite platter Yes, you’ve been there and done that, but it’s likely one of the easiest things to prep and serve. Offer a variety of veg. My faves include blanched broccoli and cauliflower florets, baby carrots and multicolored sliced bell peppers along with healthy ‘dips’, such as homemade guacamole (sans the sour creme), chopped-tomato salsa or a simple blend of garlic, olive oil, fresh basil and some roasted walnuts, whizzed in your food processor.
- Fruit plate Freshly washed red and green grapes, sliced apples, tossed them in lemon to prevent the browning/oxidation that occurs otherwise, finished with a sprinkle of cinnamon and whole strawberries are easy to serve and won’t be as messy when eaten with your fingers as some other fruits may be.
- Raw Nuts Mix together organic walnuts, pecans and some Brazil nuts and offer as a healthier option than roasted-in-oil, peanut mixes in a can you’ll find at the store.
- “Charcuterie Platter” Roast a bone-in, skin-on turkey breast, broil some grass-fed flank and braise some pastured pork, then present on a platter in lieu of those high-in-nitrates meats like salami, prosciutto di parma and smoked ham you may have traditionally served.
- If you feel like you’ve gotta have that ‘crunch’ you really don’t have to default to potato chips. Try slicing and baking eggplant. It sounds funny, I know, but if you slice it thin and broil it while continuously turning it, it dries out and crisps up nicely and acts as a great substitute for a cracker!
- Offer a wide variety of beverages including flat water, sparkling water, ‘spa water’, made ahead of time by simply slicing lemon, lime, cucumber and kiwi and adding a few pieces of each to a pitcher of filtered water, as well as chilled green tea. Even those who are partaking of the alcoholic drinks will thank you later for at least keeping them from getting quite as dehydrated as they otherwise would’ve!