For the Umpteenth Time, Paleo is Not Atkins

If I read one more article about why Paleo isn’t a good way to eat because “it’s the same as the Atkin’s Diet”, or “it doesn’t provide enough fiber or calcium” or “it doesn’t support an athlete’s training regime”, I may very well pull my hair out.

Paleo is not a high protein diet.  It’s not a high fat diet.  It’s not a no-carb diet.  It’s not low in calcium or fiber, it does support many different types of athletes training programmes and yes, it is sustainable for the long haul.

The macro nutrient ratio of Paleo is roughly 40/30/30, with 40% coming from fresh vegetables (at every meal, thank you), along with some fruit, and the remaining 60% divided evenly between natural, good fats and lean, wild proteins.

Vegetables provide eight to eleven times the amount of fiber compared to processed grains.

The net calcium balance of the overall alkaline paleo diet is far superior to one which includes net-acid-forming dairy.

If Paleo doesn’t support endurance training, how is it possible that I’ve been Paleo for over seven years and have raced Ironman (including six times at Kona)?  It’s not just me; I’ve had the opportunity to work with high level ironman, ultra running and cycling athletes, as well as those who CrossFit, row at the Olympic level and race in short (but screaming fast) running events.

If you think you’ve tried Paleo and concluded that it ‘doesn’t work’ for any reason, I’d be willing to bet it wasn’t followed correctly.

Eat real food + move = optimal health.

What else is there?

Now please, help the word out…before I proceed with heading toward pulling-out-the-hair.  I believe I would not look very healthy if I were bald.