Got Twenty Minutes? Then You’ve Got Time to Make Dinner!
“I don’t have time to cook“, is one of the most common complaints I hear from clients.
“After a busy day with the kids, or twelve hours at the office, the last thing I want to do is spend hours slaving away over a hot stove“, is another.
Well, guess what?
Neither have to be the reality. If you can find twenty minutes, you can prepare a healthy meal.
Here’s great example of what one client, who is the mom of two young kids, prepared at 7:00 PM recently after her two month old had gone to sleep, and her three year old ‘helped’ our by drawing a menu for her dad, so that all would be ready for his 7:30 PM arrival home from the office.
- First, she took some grass-fed flank steak out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature.
- Then, washed and spun dry some arugula and fresh basil, then placed it in a large salad bowl.
- Next, she washed some broccoli florets, some strawberries and an avocado.
- Then, she chopped some garlic.
- After that, added the berries and avocado to the arugula and basil and set that bowl on the table.
- She then heated a cast iron skillet over medium and seared the flank steak for two minutes on each side, then placed it on a plate under foil to let it rest.
- In the same skillet, she heated some coconut oil and sautéed the garlic for about three minutes.
- Finally, she added the broccoli florets to sauté them with the garlic and oil.
She peeked at the clock, saw that it was 7:20 and realized she had ten minutes to hang out with her daughter an praise her for her artful contribution.
All it takes is a little mise-in-place and a bit of planning and we can all find the time to create a healthy, fresh, Paleo dinner, in the same amount of time one might spend heating a crappy, frozen meal and staring at the microwave until it’s defrosted.