Tasty Turmeric…and VERY Good For You, TOO!
If anyone ever tells you they think their Paleo food is bland, they're doing something wrong! In addition to the lovely flavors that each and every fresh food has of its own, we also have access to many herbs and spices to play with.
One of my faves is turmeric.
I first ate turmeric as part of a layer of flavors at an Indian restaurant. I later learned of its naturall anti inflammatory properties, so I now use it quite often, whether I'm sprinkling it on my salad or adding it to a smoothie!
The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin.
Here are just a few of its health-promoting properties:
- natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, useful in disinfecting cuts and burns.
- may help to prevent certain cancers, including leukemia, breast and prostate.
- helps to detox the liver.
- may prevent/slow the progression of both Alzheimer's disease and MS.
- may help with fat metabolism and help in weight management.
- it's used in Chinese medicine as a treatment for depression.
- used as a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- speeds up wound healing in skin and helps in the treatment of psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
You can find in a capsule form, but I'd suggest just eating the real thing; it's always the better option!
Above is a pic of how it looks; a piece of it I picked up at Whole Foods on my last trip there…