“Raise Your Hand For Chocolate Milk” What the…?????
After yesterday's post discussing a piece on US News which ranked popular US Diets, including Paleo, I clicked the author's link and found a list of affiliated organizations, one of which included one called:"Raise Your Hand For Chocolate Milk"
This is not a joke.I clicked the link and it is an actual cause which is supported by the National Dairy Council and lists these top five reasons why chocolate milk should NOT be removed from our kids' schools:
- Milk provides nutrients essential for good health and kids will drink more when it's flavored.
- Flavored milk contains the same nine essential nutrients as white milk and is a healthful alternative to soft drinks.
- Drinking lowfat or fat free white or flavored milk helps kids get the 3 daily servings of milk recommended by the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, and provides three of the five "nutrients of concern" that children do not get enough of – calcium, potassium and magnesium as well as vitamin D.
- Children who drink flavored milk meet more of their nutrient needs; do not consume more added sugar, fat or calories; and are not heavier than non-milk drinkers.
- Low-fat chocolate milk is the most popular milk choice in schools and kids drink less milk (and get fewer nutrients) if it's taken away.
There is a petition that people can sign in an effort to support their work.